Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

All the kings horses and all the kings men....

One week today  til ill be back on Canadian soil.  I cant believe how fast 3 months flew by and what an adventure ive had.  So much more happened and I saw so many places I had never planned  I'd see. What started out as a once in a lifetime turned into a first of many in a lifetime as I am so far from being done traveling the world. As one of my good friend said, who would have thought one plane ticket could have changed the direction on this year, and my life so much. I am beyond thrilled to start this new chapter in my life in Spain, providing everything goes smoothly with being allowed to move and work in the country. I'm feeling slightly deflated now as I've looked into the process as it doesn't look promising....but I'm not giving up! Still lots of research to be done.

Today I made myself get up early and caught the train to Jerez.  After months of talking about it the day is finally here to go meet Abbey!  Her parents are here visiting her and she's taking them to Jerez to watch a horse show at the Royal school of Andalusion Art and then go from a sherry tasting and asked if I wanted to join.  Of course!  So here I am sitting on the train en route.  What a great day I have planned :)
Upon arriving at the station in Jerez with directions in my hand I was off....and as soon as I hit the first roundabout I was lost haha. Spain is notorious for having BADLY marked street signs, sometimes they are way up on the side of a utilizing or sometimes they aren't there at all. In this case I didn't see one for blocks so walked in a few circles, attempted what little Spainish I know to ask people for directions, got stuck in the middle of a very loud protest that was surrounded by cops so although I had no idea what all the fuss was about I felt safe enough to be there. Turns out they were actually heading in the very direction I needed to go. After confirming with one of the very cute, uniformed Spanish police men I was back on track.....and LATE! The show starts at 12 and I was to meet Abbey at 11:30 and it was now 11:45 and I was worried. Thankfully it was slightly cooler today as I was roasting and fed faced by the time I finally got there and found hew. Whew what a relief!
The show was beautiful, an hour and a half long program of mostly Andalusion stallions showing off their skills in Dressage, mostly Vaquero dressage. They make it look so easy!
After the show Abbey offered to drive me back to Cadiz so we headed in that direction and found a place to eat lunch by the ocean front. By then it had warmed up and again was a bright warm day!
They dropped me off closer to my hostel and said farewell until tomorrow when I'm going to meet with them again but this time down in Abbeys village by Barbate.
I got back and was very much ready for my siesta time! I just LOVE siesta....the Spanish so have it down right!

No comments:

Post a Comment